Thursday, August 13, 2009

6 Months Home

Maritu and Mamush have been home for 6 months! I have another post-adoption visit scheduled. It still feels like yesterday that we were blessed with a great trip (if you disregard our agency's mahem) to Ethiopia and two amazing children. They have grown so much! Well, Mamush hasn't physically but that's not what I mean. We are working hard on their language skills. I'm so glad I have used "Baby Sign Language" with my other children, so I had already planned to use it with M&M. They pick up signs so fast! I wish I knew more. Yes, they talk more, but still not as much as they should, but that is where ECI comes in. We now have a speech therapist once a week, for now, to help out. She has suggested that the kids should attend a Mother's Day Out program to interact more with kids there own age. I wonder if this is too soon. I guess I have to read up more on bonding to ensure that their needs are met first before I worry about speech.

Anyway, just a little medical update: Maritu and Mamush are allergic to milk! No, not just like you get as you get older, but the kind of allergy that manifests itself in other ways. When we took the kids off milk, Maritu's junk in her lungs cleared, and Mamus's eczema and diarrhea too. Mamush cannot even eat anything prepared with milk, or we face Montezuma's Revenge! So, I have learned to read labels well. Now, our problem is Sheridan. Sheridan loves to feed the babies, so we always know when she's gone behind our back and given them a bite of her food or left her sippie cup lying around. Well, I guess that really is not our only problem because I forgot to mention how mobile the kids are. God must have been preparing me for the babies with Sheridan because they are much like her! They will find the least little toy to push or stack in such a way that they can reach in places that they don't belong. Any food left on cabinets is free game! One would think I starve my kids, but if you doubt me, then you are welcome to spend 5 minutes carrying Maritu! She's solid!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it's been six months! I'm so glad to hear that you discovered the milk allergy. Are they allergic to goats milk too? Thanks for updating the blog. I was wondering how you all have been doing!

    ReplyDelete